You can complain to the Ombudsman about public service providers including:
- Government departments and offices, such as the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection or the Revenue Commissioners
- Local authorities
- Health Service Executive (HSE)
- Agencies, such as charities and voluntary bodies, that deliver health and social services on behalf of the HSE
- Publicly funded third-level educational bodies
- Public and private nursing homes
- Direct provision centres
View a full list of bodies under the remit of the Ombudsman.
You cannot complain to the Ombudsman about:
- An Garda Síochána
- An Post
- Gas, electricity or other utility providers
- Banks or financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Telecommunications providers, such as Eir or Vodafone
View a list of exempt agencies on www.irishstatutebook.ie.
If you’re looking for help with your complaint visit the Citizens Information website. Citizens Information provides a free and impartial information, advice and advocacy service.
Make a Complaint Online