You can complain to the Ombudsman about public service providers including:
- Government departments and offices, such as the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection or the Revenue Commissioners
- Local authorities
- Health Service Executive (HSE)
- Agencies, such as charities and voluntary bodies, that deliver health and social services on behalf of the HSE
- Publicly funded third-level educational bodies
- Public and private nursing homes
- Direct provision centres
You can view a list of bodies we can examine complaints about. This is not an exhaustive list. If the body is not on the list then please contact us to check.
You cannot complain to the Ombudsman about:
- An Garda Síochána
- An Post
- Gas, electricity or other utility providers
- Banks or financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Telecommunications providers, such as Eir or Vodafone
View a list of exempt agencies on www.irishstatutebook.ie.
If you’re looking for help with your complaint visit the Citizens Information website. Citizens Information provides a free and impartial information, advice and advocacy service.
Make a Complaint Online