You can complain to the Ombudsman about public service providers including:

  • Government departments and offices, such as the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection or the Revenue Commissioners
  • Local authorities
  • Health Service Executive (HSE)
  • Agencies, such as charities and voluntary bodies, that deliver health and social services on behalf of the HSE
  • Publicly funded third-level educational bodies
  • Public and private nursing homes
  • Direct provision centres

View a full list of bodies under the remit of the Ombudsman.

You cannot complain to the Ombudsman about:

  • An Garda Síochána
  • An Post
  • Gas, electricity or other utility providers
  • Banks or financial institutions
  • Insurance companies
  • Telecommunications providers, such as Eir or Vodafone

View a list of exempt agencies on

If you’re looking for help with your complaint visit the Citizens Information website. Citizens Information provides a free and impartial information, advice and advocacy service.

Make a Complaint Online