What we do

The Ombudsman can examine complaints from people who are not happy with how they have been treated by certain public service providers. These include Government departments, local authorities, the Health Service Executive (HSE) and publicly funded third-level education bodies.

Before you make a complaint to us

First you must complain to the service provider whose action or decision has affected you. If the provider has a complaints or appeals system in place, you should use it. If you haven’t already complained to the service provider you might find our guide on how to complain to a service provider helpful.

If you have complained to the service provider and believe the decision or action taken was wrong, then you can contact the Ombudsman.

Timeframe for your complaint

You must complain to the Ombudsman within 12 months of the action or decision that has negatively affected you. If more than 12 months has passed, we may still be able to help if there is a good reason for the delay.

Complain on someone else’s behalf

Someone else can complain on your behalf, if you give them written permission to do so. If you want to complain on behalf of someone else, you must get their written permission.

Read our policy regarding consent for more information.

How to make a complaint to us

The easiest way to submit your complaint is by using our online form. You can also submit your complaint.

Make a complaint